NELLEN’s Structured Workplace Learning (SWL) program connects students across Indigo, Alpine, Towong shires and the City of Wodonga to local businesses offering work placement opportunities. SWL is available to Victorian school students undertaking a VET program as part of their VCE or VCAL studies, including School-based Apprenticeships and Traineeships.
Work placements are a practical way for students to:
- participate in employment
- experience what it is like to work in an industry related to their vocational educational and training studies at school
- practise the skills they have learnt
- engage with employers and the community
- form new networks
- gain real life experience
- begin to gain an understanding of employer expectations.
The program also offers employers and businesses an avenue for building up the skills and capacity of their future local workforce.
Work placement opportunities are listed on the online Structured Workplace Learning portal at http://www.workplacements.education.vic.gov.au/llens/nellen/.
Local businesses and employers interested in learning more about becoming a Structured Workplace Learning host can contact NELLEN’s SWL team on (02) 6056 0966, 0409 314 702 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.