- participate in employment
- experience what it is like to work in an industry related to their VET studies at school
- practise the skills they have learnt
- engage with employers and the community
- form new networks
- gain real life experience
- begin to gain an understanding of employer expectations.
Work placement opportunities for school students in North East Victoria are listed on the online SWL Statewide Portal at http://www.workplacements.education.vic.gov.au/llens/nellen/.Local employers interested in learning more about becoming a Structured Workplace Learning host can contact NELLEN’s SWL team on (02) 6056 0966, 0409 314 702 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to find out more about using the SWL Portal, this video, ‘Supporting Student Placements with Small Businesses’, shows teaching staff, students and SWL hosts discussing the benefits of using the portal and why they would recommend it to others.
The transition from school life to work life can be challenging. Navigating your own ideas of what a career looks like and the influences of others can be quite overwhelming. This series of short videos aims to help students navigate some of those challenges and help them to make informed decisions on their next steps.