NELLEN’s Structured Workplace Learning (SWL) program connects students across Indigo, Alpine, Towong shires and the City of Wodonga to work experience and placement opportunities offered by local employers. SWL is available to Victorian school students undertaking a Vocational Education and Training (VET) program as part of their VCE or VCAL studies, including School Based Apprenticeships and Traineeships (SBATs).
Work placements are a practical way for students to:
- participate in employment
- experience what it is like to work in an industry related to their VET studies at school
- practise the skills they have learnt
- engage with employers and the community
- form new networks
- gain real life experience
- begin to gain an understanding of employer expectations.
Search work placement opportunities for school students in North East Victoria through the online SWL Statewide Portal
The transition from school life to work life can be challenging. Navigating your own ideas of what a career looks like and the influences of others can be quite overwhelming. This series of short videos aims to help students navigate some of those challenges and help them to make informed decisions on their next steps.